Making Beauty Anywhere

Making Beauty Anywhere
Live with what makes you smile

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sometimes I get carried away

When I lived in Ontario I went to a funky antique shop that I loved, Lilly's Antiques, set in a log cabin http://bricabracantiques.com/lilly.html .   It was only open a few days a week and it always  has great stuff. I went into it last fall and found a dirty clock box with no clock which had no love for years. I bought it because I could see potential. I have scoured through my pictures and cannot find the before pic probably due to the fact that I changed computers, so sorry but picture black, dirty and stinky.

 It needed a clock face so I looked for a clock face in Michael's but none fit, so I painted it and waited for a solution. My Mom brought me over a Marjolein Bastin clockface that could be cut to fit. Once I  got the clock in I went a little crazy.





I surrounded the clock face with a faux pearl frame and then added a bling bracelet from Claire's.  I liked the bling so I added more!!  It has dollar store earrings on it, 1 vintage button and another bling bracelet that I cut and then pasted on.  I used Crazy Glue for metal, which worked great as every piece of bling stayed on through the move. 

The decorative elements in the four corners were on when I purchased it and the lid opens for easy access to the battery and a wee bit of storage.  I wanted something nice on the lid so I started looking for inspiration.  It came from a thrift store that was selling old Chambord Bottles (Raspberry Liquer from France, just went on their web-site and they changed the lid to just a normal one).  I have had a little crazy thing for crowns for over a year now, so it had to get added to the clock:

I was a little hesitant to give it a permanent home, but I love it on the box now. 
Then I was looking at it all and decided to cover the back.  The wood was rough and the sanding and paint job just barely covered it so I covered it in a piece of scrapbook paper from Michael's so that it would look beautiful from either side.
Then I added 1 piece of the bracelet bling onto the clock mechanism without even realizing it would move.  It is a flower shape and all day it turns around catching the light. 
At first I was unsure of this overly blinged up clock and I put it in places where it wasn't noticeable but now it has grown on me and I love it.  I think because it is essentially white, cream and silver it works. 
Sorry, I only have a 4mg camera so the picutres could be better. 

Patricia

5 comments:

  1. Your clock is adorable! I love the bling. What a great idea using bracelets to surround the clock face! Thanks for the super ideas! Regards, Sheilla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful clock. I love the bling of the bracelets and faux pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE YOUR CLOCK!! It makes me happy to look at it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so pretty, love it, love it, love it!!! one of the best projects I have seen in a while! my kinda style :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. really pretty! your pics don't do it justice! i can see how lovely it is.

    ReplyDelete