Making Beauty Anywhere

Making Beauty Anywhere
Live with what makes you smile

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Shabby Chic Bed

I love white duvet covers.  Have had them for years.  Once I got a cotton one for a dollar at a garage sale and used it for years.  I have tried other colours and I always go back to white. 

I used to have this bed:
A beautiful white sleigh bed (I was experimenting with beige and it didn't last a month)
Then I seperated and I decided I would take the bed with me.  It's queen size my room is not.  The day I discovered that it wouldn't fit was move in day.  It sort of all hit me on that day and I got the blues.  I couldn't see myself without my beautiful queen sleigh bed to crawl into. 
As I went to bed (in a blow up mattress) with the bed in pieces all around me I was searching for blogs and ran into http://www.myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com./  I had seen it a few months ago but not followed up on it.  I read the whole blog and it inspired me and changed my thinking.  Sandy had created a beautiful bedspace in the loft that was no more than a beautiful duvet and a blowup bed.  It made me realize I could create a beautiful space for myself that would fit the dimensions of the room.  I felt so liberated I carried the bed to the garage and put it on Kijiji. As well I wrote Sandy to thank her and she was kind enough to write back!!
I looked all over for a double bed ( Double gave me more room), for weeks and then I settled for a basic flat bed at Ikea.  I was shopping and discovered I could get a prettier bed for a better price and it was the Leirvik.  Ornate and painted cream - aaahhhh!! 
Here it is in progress

and here it is now

I adore it, I adore my Rachel Ashwell Duvet that I coveted for years (and have to spend 45 minutes ironing).  It's mine, it's peaceful, it's calming it's everything I wanted and on move in day thought I would never create.  I had no idea Ikea would make me so happy. 
I have a small room, I look out the window onto other condo's and I love it.  What do you think of the picture above the bed, remove it or keep it?
Quick story, in 2006 my family and I went to California.  I agreed to everything (even space mountain) and asked for only one thing, to go to Shabby Chic.  All I wanted.  Could have added on PomPom and Bountiful, but for me Shabby Chic was mecca.  One day we rented a car and drooovvvveee and finally found it.  I walked in and it was amazing, white settee in the window and a white bed in the other.  The bed had the same cover on it I now have.  It was stunning.  The place was so calming, the couches were so comfy and the fabric was amazing.... but the prices were high, I was mindful of the budget and purchased nothing.  I could kick myself now but it was a different mindset for me then.  But..... I should have at least purchased the gorgeous matches!!
Anyway, now I have a beautiful bedroom.  I adore it.  It's coming together and beginning to work for me.  The paint is soft muslin (Behr) in CIL voc free high gloss paint.
Until Next Time, Patricia - Part 2 of my Shabby Chic Bed Story can be found at:
http://whitecottagechic.blogspot.ca/2011/03/shabby-chic-bed-part-2.html

11 comments:

  1. Patricia,

    My heart bursts with joy for you! Look at what you've done! You're a natural when it comes to decorating and vignettes.

    I'll definitely keep you in mind if I ever get to Canada, and I'm following your pretty blog!

    xooxxoo

    Tootles,

    Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
    http://myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Gorgeous! Sandy has provided amazing inspiration for certain and you made it work for you! Awesome. Hard to say about the pic above the bed. Perhaps sharing a full room shot?

    Donna
    http://funkyjunkinteriors.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you have decorated your room! I have the same bed and love it, just wondering where you got the bedskirt? I have been looking for one to fit the Leirvik forever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Beautiful room! I also would like to know where you got the bedskirt. I have the same bed as you, and the middle steel base holding up the bed makes it hard to use a bedskirt without cutting it. Please do tell! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, please tell us where you got the bedskirt! I need one for my daughter's Leirvik bed, and I can't figure out how it will fit around the footboard. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bed skirt is Rachel Ashwell for Target queen size. I have doubled it and ruched the middle to make it fit. Yes, the ruching occurs for me at the end of the bed, drove me nuts, but now I ignore it. I look at it this way, when I walk into the room I see the side of the bed not the end. I will post a pic, on this. Patricia :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The room looks beautiful!
    Just wondering where the bedside tables are from? They're so beautiful and antique looking. I love everything about the room, and the picture frame goes lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pls tell me how u managed to add a bed skirt with the mid beam in the center...

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is exactly the bed I wanted to buy for several months already...now as I see it in your room, I am convinced I chose well :-) And I love your pillows!!! Ahhh...sweet dreams! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh and I have a bed skirt from Ikea- it is only a queen size so I purchased two to make it fit ;-) The frame is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am always searching online for articles that can help me. There is obviously a lot to know about this. I think you made some good points in Features also. Keep working, great job!
    mattress sales labor day 2014

    ReplyDelete