Making Beauty Anywhere

Making Beauty Anywhere
Live with what makes you smile

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shadow Box

For lack of a better term, I am calling this a shadowbox (even though there is not a glass cover for it).  About 18 months ago I was at a garage sale and found what looked like a shadow box.  I had seen these shown in Country Home and they had used an old drawer and added cut pieces of wood for shelves.

This is what I started with:
This was after covering it with wood filler (it had deep deep wood grooves which I did not like)

I knew I wanted to use it without the wall coming through so I glued a piece of paperboard on the back (paper covered Styrofoam), cut it to fit and adhered paper to it.  I painted it with paint hanging around and added a tiny bow fancy on the top from a scrap booking kit.



I like it a lot, but as the summer went on I wanted more lighthearted paper.  Since the paper was glued on I took a while to figure out what to do..... then I discovered that if I just placed paper into it it would hold.  Each box holds onto it's own paper.


   
I like how exuberant this paper is. It's from a box of vintage wallpaper patterns that I picked up at HomeSense (love that place!!) from French General.
I love this shadowbox because I can hold all my delicate things, like my vintage mercury glass flower holder,

I love this piece, got it on ebay and it had a twin and I broke it in the move, I still feel bad about that

I also love that it holds my itty bitty teeny tiny vintage mercury glass salt celler:
My mercury glass salt celler is covered by a rose piece that I picked up at the St. Albert Farmers Market and it is as beautiful displayed worn on a necklace.

This sits above my desk and gets re-done at Christmas and Easter.  It's getting cooler so I may change the paper again...... we'll see.

Until next time,
Patricia

4 comments:

  1. Vintage wallpaper at HomeSense - what am I missing??? Your shadow box is gorgeous (sigh) ... I love it!
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! When did Home Sense start selling wallpaper and why don't i have some yet??

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOPS sorry, wasn't specific enough, the paper was from a box of paper and envelopes so it is meant to be used for notes and cards. Trust me if Homesense started selling vintage wallpaper I would be camped out!!
    PatriciA

    ReplyDelete