Making Beauty Anywhere

Making Beauty Anywhere
Live with what makes you smile

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Auction Finds




Years ago I had a neighbor who introduced me to auctions.  I had read a lot about them and always wanted to go but didn't really know the protocol so one night she took me and taught me.  As my daughter ran around with her kids I  perused everything and came upon something I really really wanted! 

A mirror, a ratty largish beaten up mirror.  I got it for $20.00!!

Unlike so many things I own I have never touched it with a paint brush.


I love it's beaten up frame, it's darkening glass and all the rough spots that make it unique. 




I especially love it with candle light in front of it,


From my previous post you know I got my great little coffee table at an auction and I also got a dresser.  It's 8 years old to me and I don't know how old it actually is. It was $60.00 and is what limited my bed choice in my new room due to it's size.

It may be hard to tell but the drawers are wavy and there is a carving on top of the mirror and at the bottom of the drawers.   I retained the original knobs and just sprayed them with a little spray paint.  The mirror is getting dark in parts, and the whole thing together is ridiculously heavy but I adore it. 

Once I even got a Christmas present at an auction,

I purchased it for my mom who always wanted a Venus on the half shell.  It's  alabaster and marble.  Since there were no numbers on the bottom it too was $20.00.

Alas, this great auction place closed it's doors and I haven't found anything else like it. My house is now full enough but it was a great run at the auctions while it lasted. 

Until next time,
Patricia

4 comments:

  1. I love your auction finds, especially your mirror. I'm glad you didn't change it....it is so beautiful just as it is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mirror is so beautiful as is and your first photo of it, reflecting the iron bed, is stunning. All your finds are great deals!
    Lisa@SuburbanRetreat

    ReplyDelete
  3. That mirror is to die for!

    xoxoxox

    Sandy @ My Shabby Streamside Studio
    http://www.myshabbystreamsidestudio.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete