Making Beauty Anywhere

Making Beauty Anywhere
Live with what makes you smile

Monday, May 23, 2011

Shabby Chic Dresser

When I first saw this dresser on kijiji I saw great potential,  I saw what it could be.


It has amazing lines, and was just what I was looking for.  There is something classic about a 3 drawer dresser and it's perfectly sized for the small wall area I was using. 

I was unsure about the handles, so I took them off and filled the holes. I knew it called for a little decoration.  I found what I wanted on ebay, and also online, http://www.doityourselfchic.com/ .  I chose a perfect little piece for the top drawer. 



Easy to do, apply with glue, tape it into position and wait.  I taped and waited and began painting.  Since the walls are cream I chose Benjamin Moore Pearl Snowfall White, a perfect bright white.  Great paint, a sheen (which I find works best with furniture) and easy application.  I painted 2 coats in a few hours and then decided on handles.

I found what I wanted at Home Depot.  I looked at Lee Valley Hardware, & Anthropologie but Home Depot had handles that matched the vintage look of the dresser. 

I think it all came together well.



The applique makes it work. 

The knobs look vintage and suit the dresser perfectly.  I never would have guessed I would find these at Home Depot.


It's a funny wall.  It has a 3 light switch, the doorbell, an empty switch panel and the thermostat.  To hide this is impossible so I added enough to make all that the last thing you notice.





I am in love with the convenience, the way it turned out, and how perfectly it fits the wall. 

A cloche from Urban Outfitters on a silver dish given to my parents when they wed.  When I saw the cloche I knew it would fit perfectly. 
 
All this work was worth it.  
 

Until next time,
Patricia

I will be sharing this with Faded Charm's White Wednesday, My Romantic Homes Show and Tell Friday, and Funky Junk Interiors Saturday Night Special. 
 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you did a wonderful job on that dresser! It looks amazing. I love how you put a plant on a cake stand! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, now, you made this dresser so beautiful. Such a swan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just a marvelous transformation! So well done, and just beautiful! Love those knobs! Jacqueline @ Cabin & Cottage, http://getcottage.blogspot.com/ (I have signed in "anonymous" since there is a glitch in signing in with Google) Happy White Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on that dresser! I love how the applique and knobs turned out. The resulting display on top looks wonderful, too!
    happy WW, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dresser is beautiful...especially with the glass knobs. Such a beautiful transformation! Thanks for stopping by my blog...I checked out your mirror-topped coffee table...Gorgeous!!! I went with the plain glass on mine but mirror would have been a great option, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning rescue - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutly beautiful! I love the applique and the glass knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I liked the dresser dark, but it really looks fab white!

    ReplyDelete